Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Week 3 Storytelling: Camp Gopher Wood



Everyone loves summer camp, so I'm always so surprised by how little attention the classic literature gives the world's first ever camp. Everyone is dying to tell the story of Jonah living in a stinky old whale, and everyone loves to talk about Adam and Eve's brief time in paradise, but those stories aren't even half as good as mine! 

People will even start to tell the story of the first ever camp when they talk about Camp Counselor Noah bringing us all together for a year of fun at Camp Gopher Wood so we wouldn't die in the flood. But then they skip all the juicy details! Why would a story about a guy bringing a big group of animals into a boat fast-forward through the songs, crafts, and campfires? What's the point in telling a story if it ends in a dove flying all around with an olive, when the rest of us animals got to stampede around eating s'mores on the poop deck?

I guess I should let the ancient past go and just appreciate that I'm even getting to tell this story at all. It all started, as most experiences do, with tons of rules. There were rules about how many of each kind could climb aboard, rules about where boys and girls had to stay, and really strict rules about not jumping off the boat (something about not enough lifeboats). Luckily, the rules didn't apply so much to me because I'm an elephant. We're pretty big, so no more than two elephants could have even fit on the boat, and people can't really tell the difference between a boy and girl elephant very easily anyways, and finally, elephants are strong swimmers. The only real rule that applied to me was that I could almost never go onto the deck unless it was a special occasion.

Even with the rules to govern all the different kinds of animals, Camp Gopher Wood was pretty much the best year of my life. I had never gotten to hang out with so many different kinds of animals. Back home in ancient Africa, we pretty much stick to our own kind, so getting the opportunity to become friends with a flamingo and a cat was unheard of. Because elephants are big and no one can tell me what to do, I never learned their names. But the flamingo and the cat were still the fastest and easiest friends I ever made, whatever their names were. We got to do so much cool stuff together.

Probably the most fun we ever had together was right at the end of our time at camp. Counselor Noah had already set the aforementioned dove out to search for land, or an olive, or a rainbow or something. But the flamingo, the cat and I wanted to see for ourselves if the flood had dried up for. We were all bigger than the dove, so we could definitely figure out a better way to check out the state of the world. You'll never guess what our devious master plan was. Or maybe you will, who knows?

Anyways, we decided that instead of doing something weird and complex, all we had to do was look outside! The only problem was that Noah and the rest of the counselors didn't like to let animals on the decks very often. You see, way back during the Camp Gopher Wood days humans lived for a freakishly long time, like hundreds of years. And as you could imagine, their bodies basically hardly worked at all by this point. Most of the counselors couldn't really see well, so they didn't know how close they were to the edge of the boat. Even if they could see past their cataracts, their balance was no good because their hips and knees were all failing, and the few young counselors never wanted to go on the deck because they knew all the responsibility for safety would be on their young shoulders.

I told the flamingo and the cat, “With our great diversity of size, we could definitely find a way to sneak out onto the deck and have a look outside at the dry land!”

 I outlined a pretty simple plan that required a three-person stack-em-up. The flamingo was on my back, and the cat was on the flamingo's head. Then, the flamingo fluttered her pink wings to catapult the cat up through the chimney, and from there the cat presumably walked around just long enough to take a gander. Finally, the cat tumbled down the chimney and I caught her with my long and flexible trunk.

The cat seemed sad as we asked her what she had seen and if anyone had seen her. She said,  “There is basically no water left at all, and there is seemingly endless green grass all around.”

I guess I understood why that made her sad. Dry land meant that camp had to be over, and Counselor Noah had already prepared us for our serious and important job by telling us over and over, “Repopulating the earth with your own species after the flood ended was the entire reason you animals get the opportunity to go to camp.” I probably wouldn't ever get to hang out with the cat and the flamingo again because we would all be so busy on various continents raising the next generation.

When the dove came back to tell Noah what we already knew, we all had to leave Camp Gopher Wood and start our new families. I never got to spend time with the flamingo or the cat again, but I hope that one day, maybe in a few thousands of years, some future generations of elephants, flamingos, and cats get the chance to spend time together and become friends and prove how capable they can be as a team (especially compared to a dove).


Author's note: This story is based on the Biblical story of Noah following God's instructions to build an ark out of gopher wood and save a few of every species and his family from the deluge. After more than a year, a dove is sent out and comes back with an olive branch while there is a rainbow to symbolize God’s promise. 

I filled in some fun and exciting details during the year that Noah, his family, and all the animals are on the ark. Because this is a Biblical story, I didn't want to change any main details of the actual story, so I added new information! Of course, I have no idea what actually happened during this long period, but I decided to make it about camp because everyone loves camp, and I think it's a much more uniting and universal experience than building a giant wooden structure. 

I think some of these classic Biblical stories can get told and retold so many times in the same way that it can be really exciting to use your imagination and think about what the story might be leaving out. And as for the elephant's particular obsession with his size, I channeled my brother, who is 6'4" and very proud of it! Hopefully by reading this story, people of all sizes can realize that they've got to work together to accomplish something really noteworthy!

Bibliography: Noah unit. Story source: The King James Bible (1611), Genesis 5-6

Image Information: Noah's ark; Wikimedia

15 comments:

  1. Nice job with the story, it was very creative. I think it's the best of the three stories you've written so far. I would never have thought to make Noah's ark a camp! I like how one of the rules that animals have to follow is to not jump on the boat, that part made me laugh. I am curious to see what you come up with in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good job adapting the classic story of Noah here! I really enjoyed the flow of the story which was very easy to follow. I would have never thought to re imagine this story as a summer camp and you did a great job doing so. I like how you kept much of the original story, but also completely changed the context of it by making it a summer camp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a funny story and I really enjoyed it. It’s an interesting take to make the story of the flood a story of Camp Gopher Wood! I do think an elephant, flamingo and cat make a very interesting friendship. It’s my favorite story you’ve written so far. It’s such a classic story that you retold and in such an interesting way. I haven’t heard many (or any) stories about the time spent on the ark so this was a unique take for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this story! The only things I would revise would be to tell us why it was named Camp Gopher Wood. How did it get its name? Did Noah make it up? What inspired them to name it that? The only other thing I would also revise is to tell us who the main character is. Did they get separated from any of their family on this boat? Did they not know anyone? What were the conditions like on the boat? Did the main character ever attempt to find the elephant, the flamingo, and the cat again? Overall, great story! I loved how you gave a unique perspective on Noah and the Ark. It definitely brought more depth to the story. It made me feel like I was on the boat with all of those animals myself! This was extremely well written. I look forward to reading more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Alex! I really enjoyed reading this story. I think that you provide great depth with developing your characters. Although we do not have much background information on them, your reader still feels like they know them! I do agree it could be cute to tell how the camp got its name, but I can understand the struggle of staying within the word count at the same time. Many of my stories have had to be edited down to try and stay within the word count. I particularly enjoyed the details about the different activities the animals did while on the camp. I was a camp counselor at the OKC Zoo during the summer, and crafts are a huge part of camp! So I think you did a great job of capturing the aspects of camp. I can’t wait to see what else you create in the future! Good luck with the rest of your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very interesting and creative to have one of the animals tell the story. It was fun to read about what all was going on on the arc. It was very creative to have Noah as a camp counsellor, and have this whole situation be a camp instead of all the animals trying to survive in this huge ship. It was nice to read about the friendship between the unlikely animals, like a cat, an elephant, and a flamingo. You definitely made their personalities very cute and endearing, which makes the story interesting and fun to read. One thing I was wondering, was why it seemed like all these animals were on the arc by themselves. If I remember correctly, the animals went on the arc in pairs, so maybe that could have added more mischief to the trio. Their counterparts could also act like the more mature one, trying to curb their ideas of going outside. It was still great though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alexandra,

    I really like the background for your page. I definitely gives it some whimsy and puts us in a classroom type of mindset. The color schemes of your portfolio are very pleasing and soothing to the eye.

    I like the narrator style of this post as an elephant telling the story. I also like the side gags you pull off (not enough lifeboats). It feels like a fun story and it’s an enjoyable easy read.

    The cat, flamingo and elephant triumvirate was pretty funny. I wonder what would have happened if you had added a mouse into the fray and the elephant had to get over his fears. That would provide a bit more conflict in the story.

    I really liked the way this was presented. It had humor and was a fun read. I liked the font that you used as well. It was very easy to read. All in all it was a refreshing take on a biblical classic (the old men not going on deck was hysterical!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alexandra,
    First off, I like your choice of background for your blog and have not seen one like this of all the ones I have visited. In addition, you are the first Myth-Folklore blog I have visited, as I am from the Indian Epics class. I have not taken Laura Gibbs Myth-Folklore class yet but after taking Indian Epics and reading your story I am intrigued to take it next semester. I also think I would be a bigger fan of your classes topics as they might be easier to interpret. I do love the picture of Noah's Ark that you included with your story. I feel it really adds meaning and helps tie in the setting of your story. In addition, I liked the sequence of how you presented your story. It was very easy to follow and sequential. All in all, it was a good classic read and I'm glad to have learned something about Laura's other class she offers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Alex,

    First of all, I loved the line, "when we could be eating s'mores on the poopdeck!" It was hilarious, and the perfect way to combine the experience on The Ark with a familiar camp ritual.

    I really enjoyed the point of view for this story. You did a great job developing the elephant as a fun-loving, adventurous character. I loved that he made friends with a flamingo and a cat, two very diverse creatures. It was a great way to set up for the sad ending, when they had to leave each other.

    And I thought that was a great element to add, too. I had never thought about how all the animals would have to travel to different continents, or even how all of the creatures on The Ark had to leave each others' company to fulfill their duties on land. It's kind of sad!

    I was a little confused about the line, “Because elephants are big and no one can tell me what to do, I never learned their names.” So… he never learned his best friends’ names just because no one told him to? This part doesn’t really seem to fit with the rest of the story, or really make sense.

    Over all, I really enjoyed this retelling of The Ark story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was an awesome story! I really enjoyed reading about something different and exciting as we read a lot of the same stories in our classes. I am familiar with the Noah’s Ark story, but like you mention in the story nobody tells it the way you did. I think it is very interesting to see a story you have heard before from a different point of view. Can you imagine how different history books would be if they were told from a different side of each story? It is kind of crazy to think about. Anyway, I love that you made an elephant, a flamingo, and a cat friends in this story and that the ark was made to be like a summer camp. I have always thought the animals were probably mourning the loss of practically their entire species, but you found a way to make it exciting. That has to be the most random group of friends I have ever heard of. They worked so well together too. You really used your imagination for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, Alexandra! I chose to read this particular story because it seemed rather interesting from the description in your portfolio. I like to comment as I read. Hopefully youll be able to follow along with the comments I make.
    I definitely like the approach you took of telling the story of Noah’s Ark from the stand point of one of the animals being a camper on the ark.
    I got a laugh from you saying there were very strict rule and “something about not enough lifeboats.”
    S/O to Africa. Glad there was a reference.
    This is a snappy little elephant…. “since no one can tell me what to do.”
    “Humans lived for hundred of years and their bodies barely worked…” lol actually, that entire paragraph is funny!

    I thought your story was great, nice humorous story! You can never go wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great story! I love how you added new information because I have always wondered what happened on the ship. Did the animals get along? Was it boring? I am glad to know they made friends and did camp activities! Adding more descriptions about their various activities or giving the group more tasks such as pranks would have been a great addition! It would be fun to see what else the group of three did on the boat besides the one excursion!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alexandra, I chose to read this story because I wanted to see what twist you would have on Noah's Ark. This is a well known story, and I always think it's interesting to see other people's perspectives on stories. I like that you told the story from the animals point of view, and made it seem like a fun summer camp! It's so interesting that all it takes is a different view in a story and it can completely change how you feel about it. For example, I would consider the story of Noah's Ark to be a fairly sad one. The entire earth is flooded, only two animals of each species get to live, and everything the world knows is washed away. You found a way to make it a happy, even humorous story, and I think that's great! This would make a great story in a children's book. Although I don't hope for another flood, I would love to see who became friends the next time at camp gopher wood! Good job on this story! Good luck on the rest of your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Alex!
    When we were given the opportunity to do stories from the Bible, I completely strayed away from it. I couldn’t see how I could retell something I knew so much about it. It made me nervous! I was seriously impressed with the originality of your story.
    The first thing that caught my eye was the title of your story. I have never thought that much about the importance of a story title, but after I saw yours I realized its vitally important.
    I loved how you were able to incorporate the different scene settings from the Bible story. Your references to the top deck and how the bigger animals needed to stay below was really cute. I also enjoyed the part about the humans and their age. I actually laughed out loud on that part. I think you did a great job retelling this story and I am really looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed reading your story based off of Noah’s Ark. I’ve heard this story so many times growing up as a kid, but you managed to put a fun spin on it and make it interesting! It was fun how you told the story from an animals perspective since they would probably have the best stories from their experience on the Ark. It was really creative how you decided to make the time they spent on the boat seem like they were at a summer camp. I was wondering how you came up with the name Camp Gopher Wood for the camp on the ark… it was so clever how you saw that ark was built out of gopher wood and decided to have that in the name of the camp! I liked how you explained that the humans seemed to live way longer than they do now. It made me laugh a little when you talked about them not being able to see well and their hips giving out! I can’t imagine how torn up our bodies would be if we lived that long today! Great job!

    ReplyDelete