Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Week 11 Extra Reading Diary: Canterbury Tales

For an extra reading from the British unit, I chose to read the Canterbury Tales unit from the The Chaucer Story Book by Eva March Tappan (1908). Since I had already read the King Arthur stories, I loved that the first story in this unit cited a knight of the round table. It's not surprising since King Arthur is very pervasive and both stories are part of the British unit, but it was still a lot of fun. It was like a crossover episode on tv, which is always a ton of fun. Of the three units I read from the British unit (King Arthur, Robin Hood, and this one) I definitely like the Canterbury Tales the best so far. It could be just because these are told in the most understandable language and are somewhat more modern, but these stories really held my interest and made me want to continue reading even when I had other stuff I could have been doing. I definitely liked the Unknown Bride the best from the first half of the unit because it reminded me of an episode of the BBC show Sherlock for some reason. Maybe it was the title or the way the story was told, but I was just entranced from the first sentence to read the whole story and find out what happens to the knight. I loved that the old wife told the grumpy knight that just because she was poor and old didn't mean she wasn't kind. Although I don't know how nice it is to force a man to marry you in return for saving his life. I feel like she should have just automatically saved his life and wanted nothing in return if she was actually a good person.


No comments:

Post a Comment