Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Week 12 Extra Reading Diary: The Canterbury Tales Continued

For an extra reading from the British unit, I chose to read the Canterbury Tales unit from the The Chaucer Story Book by Eva March Tappan (1908). I really enjoyed the first half of the reading, so I was extremely excited to finish the unit and read some more. The Priest who Learned to be a Philosopher was probably my favorite story from the second half of the unit. I wasn't sure where it was going at first, but I really liked the set-up of a priest that only worked for the dead and who was so super nice and fun that he didn't even have to pay rent! I feel like that would be quite the motivation for college students to be extra nice because rent is by far our biggest expense in most cases! I was so sad when the priest ended up getting tricked so badly! I feel like it's kind of his own fault since he's a priest and he was trying to learn how to do magic. The trickster did go to great lengths to fool him though, so maybe the blame was shared. I always think it's fun to read about tricks and stuff, so this story was right up my alley!

No comments:

Post a Comment