Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Week 12 Reading Diary: Robin Hood

This week I decided to read the Robin Hood unit from The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child (1882-1898). I decided on this purely because I liked King Arthur so much and because I really liked the Robin Hood cartoon when I was a kid. It was definitely different to read ballads instead of a normal story. I liked being able to kind of make up a tune or read it like poetry, but it did occasionally confuse me. However, I thought it was fairly easy to follow the plot and really understand where the story was going. I had never thought before how much Katniss from The Hunger Games is basically a futuristic Robin Hood, but she definitely is and it's awesome. I wish I could make a storytelling post as awesome as those books and movies! I've never done that much with bows and arrows, but I can see now that the appeal is great. I loved when Robin Hood met Little John because even though things didn't start out great, you could still tell that they admired each other and would totally end up as friends. I like Robin Hood because even though he is a good guy, he's still tricky and likes to have fun, like when he meets Allen a Dale. It's like Robin Hood never stops being a little kid, but in the best way. He's obviously a lot like Peter Pan, especially because they both like the wear a lot of green and have a sort of cult following among young men within their respective stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment