Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Week 11 Reading Diary: King Arthur Continued

This week I'm reading King Arthur: Tales of the Round Table by Andrew Lang. This focus for the second half of the reading was much less on Arthur and much more on Lancelot. I like Galahad and Arthur much better for Lancelot because Lancelot doesn't have the best character in the world. I would not exactly describe him as galant, whereas Arthur and Galahad are really nice and kind and seem to be even better knights for that reason. I didn't really understand the whole Holy Graal thing until I wikipedia searched it. Between that and the Perilous Siege, there's a lot of confusing names of things in these King Arthur stories. Gawaine also seems like a less good knight, but that could be just because I don't like his name as much. Galahad is a really great name. I really liked that Sir Bors had to wear a different sort of garment until he fulfilled his quest. Little quirky stuff like that can really take a story from average to excellent just because I would have never thought of something so different. Everyone should have to wear a scarlet coat until they accomplish something awesome. The end of Arthur was sad, but he more interesting character when he was a young king who had to prove himself anyways. I was more sad when Galahad died because he still seemed like the best knight in the land, so that seemed like a pretty great loss.



File:Royal Military College of Canada memorial window to Ian Sutherland Brown Sir Lancelot whole armour of God.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment