Thursday, April 21, 2016

Week 13 Reading Diary: Beauty and the Beast

This week, I chose to read Europa's Fairy Book by Joseph Jacobs and illustrated by John Batten (1916) from the Europa unit. I was really happy with my choice, and my favorite story by far was Beauty and the Beast. Although by this point most people in class have read or even written about an original version of a Disney princess story, I still hadn't! So I decided that this was going to be my week for it!


I liked that this version of Beauty and the Beast was still incredibly recognizable to me even though I was only familiar with the movie. I also liked that the Beast was much less evil and that Belle was much less unhappy in this version. I still thought that Belle's cowardly dad was completely absurd and wrong, but it was nice that he was able to visit his daughter and see that she wasn't completely unhappy. 

If I were going to retell this story in a storytelling post, I would definitely want to include some of the classic elements such as the beautiful girl being trapped by the crazy guy. I don't know if I would want to have a happy ending. It seems like no matter how handsome and tortured he is, a guy shouldn't trap a woman in his home in order to date her. It is a really nice story though. Maybe I would have the girl trap the guy, that's kind of cool I think.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alexandra!
    I love the title of your story! After I found out what the original source for your story was I loved it even more. The new characters you introduced, the mother and son, were a great addition to the story. Chuck’s adventure in the castle was so unique and interesting. I was definitely not expecting the ending of the story! I was for sure laughing out loud!

    ReplyDelete